While baking these coffee cupcakes the other day I used brown butter for the very first time. Now there’s something you should know about me (and my friends can vouch for this) I absolutely love butter. Butter and I are best friends. I always say that if there was only one thing I could eat for the rest of my life it would be bread and butter. Now it probably doesn’t come to a surprise that the brown butter absolutely blew me away. Even while browning it I was all but drooling over my little pot, the nutty smell of it was amazing. Then when I made that cupcake batter the smell kept getting better and better and I just knew: I have to try this again in a different recipe. And soon.
And today I got to use it again when I made these triple chocolate chip cookies with brown butter and vanilla. It’s safe to say my second brown butter experience didn’t disappoint – in fact I think these were the best chocolate chip cookies I have ever had. I got the recipe on the Sweet Peony Blog, but slightly altered it. I’m out of vanilla essence so I used the seeds of a vanilla bean, and I used a mix of black, brown and white chocolate chips.
165 grams of butter
2 cups and 2 tablespoons of flour
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 cup brown sugar, packed
the seeds of half a vanilla bean
1 egg + 1 egg yolk
2 cups of chocolate chips mix (2/3 white, 2/3 brown and 2/3 black)
What to do
01. Melt the butter in a small pan over a low/medium heat until it browns. It might take a couple of minutes, make sure to keep an eye on it/stir it from time to time so your butter doesn’t burn.
02. Mix the dry ingredients (flour, baking soda and salt) and set aside
03. Measure out your cup of brown sugar and poor in a bowl. Measure out Half your vanilla bean lengthwise and use a knife to scrap out the seeds. Add these seeds to the sugar. Then use your (clean) hands to mix by rubbing it between your fingers- the grains of the sugar will make it easy to mix the vanilla seeds evenly. Add the (slightly cooled down) brown butter to the sugar-vanilla mixture and mix with a hand mixer for a couple of minutes.
04. Add your egg and egg yolk to your butter mixture and mix with your hand mixer.
05. Add your flour mixture and mix it in on the lowest setting
06. Fold in your chocolate chips
07. Shape into cookies and place on a baking tray lined with baking paper. Bake at 160°C for 12-14 minutes.
Beautiful black grain from the vanilla
I got 15 medium sized cookies out of this recipe. Store in an airtight container. I used my super awesome Sainsubry’s radio cookie box!